Wednesday, June 25, 2014

On Trial: The Verdict June 2014


Well - what a month it's been! June has literally flown by and I feel like it's been an ultra busy one with lots going on in life in general. There's lots of changes at work, there's been lots of plans throughout the past few weeks and I'm feeling like I could sleep for a week! Anyone else? Yeah thought so. Anyway, let's take a look at how I got on with the products On Trial for June...

Avon Earthen Rose blush 
I wore this quite a lot at the start of June. I forced myself to opt for it over my beloved NARS Laguna and, for those first couple of weeks, things went well. It's got a little bit of a ruddy finish to it but it just looks like you've got a natural sunkissed glow. It's not great for contouring but ideal for sweeping across the temples and cheeks with a kabuki brush. The weather got warmer throughout the month though which meant I tried to faux a glow a little more which is when this got abandoned. I'm thinking it'll be used much more during winter, for that it will be perfect.

Liz Earle Skin Repair Light Moisturiser* link
This pretty much went as expected. Oily skin, use the Liz Early Skin Repair Light Moisturiser, oily skin at bay, continue use, skin dries up. Gah, what is life! It's such a shame that my skin just dies after using this for a week because it feels lovely on the skin. For you permanently oily-skinned peeps though this will work wonders. It really does keep oil ay bay and make your makeup stay on longer. I'll be using it in the summer still but more sporadically (Clueless reference, anyone?) to make sure my skin stays decent.

Bourjois Mega Liner link
Unfortunately, this was my biggest disappointment. I really was hoping for big things but this was just too big. The nib that is. I just couldn't get to grips with the angled pen and, as a liner connoisseur, it pains me to admit that. Cat eye flicks are my thing goddamit! I love the formula, the high pigmentation and the lasting power but I found the line was too thick and tugged on my eyelid which left a jagged edge, not the sleek flick I want. However, I have been trying this over the top of my usual L'Oreal Superliner - which is on it's last legs - to increase the black pigment and I do like it that way. So, not all is lost.

The Body Shop All-In-One InstaBlur link
Ahh this one really threw me. I used to adore a silicone based primer from The Body Shop which was for mattifying the skin but went of fit when the silicone stopped sitting well on my skin. the same goes for this. Applied straight after moisturiser it does an excellent job of blotting the skin, and somewhat blurring pores, but less really is more. When put all over the face, I found it way too heavy but used just on my nose, chin and centre of my forehead - avoiding cheeks, temples, jawline - it does a pretty good job. I don't think it's overtaken my Max Factor offering (more on that another day...) but I'm hoping again, it'll come in useful on holiday for when I really need to keep shine at bay. Oily skiined gals rejoice, this one's for you.

Fudge Urban Iced Raspberry & Vanilla Mousse link
Oooh I really enjoyed this! It didn't quite tick all the boxes but overall not a bloomin' bad go! The scent isn't too over powering but is enough to make the whole process of scrunching in mousse a little more enjoyable. The mousse itself isn't sticky which I like - that's the one thing that usually puts my off, no one likes sticky fingers. Not being sticky in the palms of my hands translates to the finish in my hair too - old school mousse would leave my hair feeling a little crunchy but not this one. Yes, you can go overboard but just be light handed with it, less is more (recurring theme in this post, eh?) but if you do only apply a little, it's be weightless yet still give your hair some va va voom! For a drugstore offering, I'm impressed!

What have you been trying out recently?

Ax

Don't forget my GIVEAWAY to win an Odylique Coconut Candy Scrub! Enter here - it closes 07/06!

No comments:

Post a Comment