Friday, April 25, 2014

The Fragrance Shop Discovery Club




I'm sure, by now, we're all familiar with beauty boxes like GlossyBox and Birchbox - boxes of samples (and sometimes full sizes) of beauty products delivered straight to your door each month. I was all over GlossyBox when it first launched but grew tired of getting similar products (seriously - a girl doesn't need that much body wash...) so I switched to Birchbox. I loved this one, but had to stop the subscription because of funds - I have just got this month's though... there was Laura Mercier in it! All in all, I do get the beauty box phenomenon but they all seem so samey. However, when the guys at The Fragrance Shop contacted me about their Discovery Club* well, colour me intrigued.

Before I give my opinion, let me explain what it's all about. You receive a box from The Discovery Club for £5 per quarter, so every 4 months, which includes 5 samples of new fragrances (there were 7 this month, no idea why). you also get a booklet with savings off each of the the fragrances included in the box, so if you take a liking to one you can get it at a lower price. There can be a mix of male and female samples and, like many other boxes, you can cancel at any time.

The Spring 2014 box contains little spray bottles of: Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire Couture, Givenchy Very Irresistible L'eau En Rose, Lacoste Eau De Lacoste Sensuelle, Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Extraordinaire, Elie Saab L'eau Couture, Valentino Uomo and Loewe Solo Loewe Sport (I believe the last two are mens).

I think each sample is something like 2ml but I could be wrong (I don't have one in front of me!). I can safely say the one that I was most excited about was the Elie Saab offering as I adore the original. I won't go into detail about what I think about each perfume because I'd rather this be a write up about The Discovery Club concept itself.

So, what do I think? In all honesty I'm not 100% sold. I love that it's something different to other boxes and I also like the quarterly idea as it means less samples collecting dust but I'm not sure whether I want to pay for samples you can sometimes get for free. Saying that, it isn't very often perfume counters give you samples any more and if your nearest ones don't do it, this could be a nice way to try things out. I also like that you get discount codes for each fragrance, so I suppose that's a plus. And it's only a fiver every 4 months... ah I really don't know, I truly think it's down to personal preference!

To sum up, I love the concept and love the discounts (obviously) but am still unsure on paying for sample bottles I know counters hide away under the desk.

Is the Discovery Club from The Fragrance Shop something that you'd be interested in?

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment