Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween, bitches!


Happy Halloween, y'all!

Halloween is by far my favourite 'holiday' of the year! As a kid I loved dressing up and going trick or treating and now as an adult I still love the dressing up but it's way more gorey and scary. I wish the UK celebrated it like the US does with parties and people really getting into dressing up and stuff but alas, no one really shares my enthusiasm in my circle of friends!

As you may have guessed there isn't exactly a beauty post today but instead I thought I'd share a few of my favourite Halloween looks from the past few years. When I was younger I can vividly remember this one year my Dad took my friend and I around our village trick or treating - she was a ghost (a white sheet over her head with eye holes) and I was a cat (all black with one leg of a pair of tights stuff with newspaper for a tail). Lo and behold the heavens opened and we trekked round in the pouring rain with my car tail looking very sorry for itself by the end of it. My Dad powered through the whole trip and we ended back at my house with a bucket of sweets in front of the fire - perfect. Oh how things change though!

In recent years I've got really into the whole dressing up, fancy dress, Halloween makeup thing including the three above - a dead doll, a vampire, and some zombie looking thing. All of these looks are things you can create at home without having to buy anything special. They're all done using what's in my makeup stash, the only things I added were the fangs and lashes but makeup wise? You'll probably have it all! I loved the vampire one, I got some fangs and borrowed a friends corset to channel the more old school vamps and topped it with seriously heavy makeup and red lips! As a self confessed vampire addict (Lost Boys, The Vampire Diaries, Buffy, True Blood... love) being able to play one for the night was pretty epic! Then came the 'dead doll'. I went a little OTT with this one - white face, oversized eyes, stitched up mouth - but loved it! We went to a Halloween maze in a field with this one and got lots of compliments on this. Finally we have my favourite so far! A friend threw a Halloween party a couple of years ago so I thought I'd have a go at some self-made cuts and bruises. This was my first go and I didn't have any of the professional stuff but managed to make it work using tissue and eyelash glue! I just coated the tissue, scrunched it up and it adhered it to my face diagonally to split it in two. Green based makeup on one half, normal on the other with lots of Benefit's Benetint as blood for the centre of the cut. For a first go I was pretty pleased! If I go to another Halloween party, I think I'll be going down the same route!

So what about this year? Well there's no party unfortunately so myself and the other half are having a night in with scary movies! We live in a cul-de-sac with quite a few kids so I need to get us some sweeties as there'll no doubt be more than a few knocks on the door! We've also not done pumpkin carving yet so fingers crossed there's some left in the shops for me to pick up today to add to our Halloween evening.


Do you have plans for Halloween tonight? What's your favourite fancy dress?

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment