Sunday, July 20, 2014

MAC Kelly Yum Yum Alternatives





I didn't want to call this a dupe list because, within my stash, I've not found anything that exactly resembles MAC's Kelly Yum Yum. However, I'm sure that there are some of you - who may have missed out on this delicious shade - who may be wondering if anything in your collection is similar. Kelly Yum Yum is by no means a ground breaking shade so there are a few alternatives to rival the recent release.

Kelly Yum Yum is the Satin version of the ever popular Candy Yum Yum - an incredibly bright blue toned pink that has a matte finish. The matte finish is the only reason I'd not snapped it up myself so when I saw a satin version was being released as part of Kelly Osbourne's collab with MAC I knew it had to be mine! In all honesty, I probably could have lived without it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful shade, but there are other shades similar that'll do the job just fine. 

With that in mind, let's point out that MAC's Kelly Yum Yum is pictured bottom right in the quad. And so, the first one I'm talking about as a comparison is The Body Shop's Colour Crush in 205 (pictured top left in the quad). This is a seriously vibrant shade with a gorgeously silky formula. The finish is very similar to Kelly Yum Yum however the shade is a little different. KYY is very much blue toned whereas TBS Colour Crush 205 leans more red. Still a brave shade nevertheless and maybe something to consider if your skin tone prefers pinks with a red undertone.

Next up is another MAC option - Girl About Town (pictured bottom left in the quad). I adore this shade, it's a long standing lipstick in not only my MAC collection but my entire lip product collection! Again, it's a similar finish to Kelly Yum Yum but the shade is ever so slightly different. It's a little deeper and again more red toned. As well as this the biggest difference is that it's less in-your-face. Something for those who aren't quite ballsy enough for a neon lip just yet?

Finally, my favourite of the bunch and the one that is most similar to Kelly Yum Yum is from Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids range - Fuchsia Flash (pictured top right in the quad). This was included in one of my early posts way back when but it is such an incredible shade! It's super, super neon - seriously, it's not for the faint hearted - but it's so creamy and lasts for such a bloomin' long time! It's blue toned, like Kelly Yum Yum, vibrant, like Kelly Yum Yum, and a satin finish... you get the idea. You can see in the skin swatch and lip swatch just how close these are and I'd definitely point anyone who wanted KYY in the direction of the Maybelline stand for an alternative.

Was MAC's Kelly Yum Yum something you missed out on?

Ax

4 comments:

  1. Rusty ShacklefordAugust 19, 2014 12:05 am

    I was thinking about getting Kelly Yum Yum as I thought Candy Yum Yum was too bright for me. However I already own Maybelline's Fuchsia Flash and love it to pieces, so no Kelly Yum Yum for me! I guess I'll give Candy Yum Yum another try; as a hardcore pink lover (think Legally Blonde) it feels like it's just one of those lipsticks I HAVE to own. Besides, the day I tried it on myself I was wearing super heavy bronzer, didn't use a lipliner with it and wow, the lighting in that MAC store was just cruel. So I guess with my usual fair, cool toned skin, a matching lipliner and more forgiving lighting (Seriously, it was awful!) it should be easy.. well, at least easIER to pull off. I hope so, since I haven't been able to get it out of my head for a year now! Also, I have a gift card... Sorry about the babbling, and thanks for the swatches! They were definitely helpful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rusty! Thanks for stopping by :) Yes, Fuchsia Flash is so similar that I wouldn't worry and KYY. I was tempted by CYY but I just can't get on board with MAC's mattes! Report back, sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rusty ShacklefordAugust 26, 2014 1:55 am

    Hey there! :) So, I brought my Maybelline lipstick to the MAC counter and did some side by side swatches -- and they are (aside from the finish, of course) insanely similar! I could hardly tell the difference. (And neither could the MAC lady, which I discovered upon asking her whether she would recommend getting CYY when I already have the Maybelline version, and she just looked kinda bewildered, pointed at the Maybelline swatch and said: "That one's pretty." -- Well, true that!) Fuchsia Flash definitely qualifies as a dupe in real life, whereas on the internet they do look quite different (why?). I do like the idea of a matte version of my favorite pink lipstick (mostly because with mattes it's harder to tell where my actual lips end, which is important as I draw my thin a$$ lips on three times as full ;)) but then I thought, nah, better wait until you find a decent lip liner to go with it. Mattes are so unforgiving when it comes to not lining your lips. So, long story short, I totally chickened out. ;) Buuuut I still haven't given up on dat CYY dream, but since I'm always low on cash I figured I shouldn't buy a pricey lipstick I'm not 100 per cent sure about... Still, for now I think I'll spend my oh so precious gift card on the Lovecloud blush (which became permanent this year! And I just found out now because I live under a rock! Wooo). Now you have to tell me, what is it that you don't like about MAC's mattes? I only have Ruby Woo from that range (which is retro matte... and apparently there's a difference... uhh...) and while it's extremely dry, I love what this über matte finish looks like, so I don't really mind. Anyway, thanks so much for your answer! I hope you have an amazing day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Rusty! It's great to hear even a MAC salesperson struggled to see a difference - the difference in colour online is due to lighting and different computer monitors so it's always best to check them for yourself in real life.

    In regards to matte - you could always try applying the lipstick, placing a tissue over your lips and powdering the tissue with a translucent powder - this sometimes mattifies and normally satin/glossy lipstick.

    The only reason I'm not great with MAC mattes is because I find the Retro Mattes extremely drying and difficult to wear and I find they don't wear as well as other mattes I've tried.

    Thanks again for your comment! x

    ReplyDelete